About Our Company

My photo
The Hagerman Group offers construction management, general contracting, design-build, owner’s representative, self-perform, as well as site selection and economic development incentive negation services. This fourth generation, family owned company, was founded in 1908 with Indiana offices located in Fort Wayne and Fishers.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Productivity Gets You Paid Safety Gets You Home

“The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed.  When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants.” 
-President Theodore Roosevelt.
I am sure that after reading that quote you immediately thought of someone who could fit that bill.  Do you also wonder who may have thought of you?  How is your safety record?  Your attitude and preparedness play a huge role in your personal safety and that of your surroundings. 
The attitude that says “Just let me do my job,” implies that the “job” is to build a form or pour concrete or install equipment.  In Reality, workers are compensated for doing their work, doing their work efficiently, and doing their work SAFELY.  When efficiency outweighs the focus of safety, accidents are likely.  It is also important to actively identify who is working in the area, as well as the type of work being performed.    Being unaware of what is going on around you puts you at risk for things that may go wrong above. 
Communicating with other trades in the work area and securing a safety plan for the job can ensure that everyone leaves the site without incident.  Even one worker with the wrong attitude can negatively affect the entire crew.  That is why it is extremely important to stay focused, not just on your own work but the work around you as well.  Don’t be the one who shows up with his “ends” in the wrong place!
There are many reasons for practicing safety in the workplace.  If avoiding injury is not reason enough, consider the other losses that come with an accident; lost wages, lost time, possible loss of the job itself; loss of material and tools, and the loss of your personal health.  These are great motivators for working safely, but the four most important motivators in my life are my two young boys, my little girl, and my beautiful wife, all of whom expect to see me walk through the front door every evening.
Aside from the quote by former President Roosevelt at the beginning of this article, I heard another good quote when I was working through school.  “We work to live, but we don’t live to work.”  Enjoying your work is important because it is where you spend much of your time.  I love my career, but I also want to enjoy the fruits of my labor.  Injuries make it less enjoyable and in some cases, impractical.  We have to make it safely through the week in order to enjoy the weekend.  Stay focused at work; go fishing on Saturday!

Tom Whitaker


No comments:

Post a Comment